Author: Elise Foley

White House, Trump Attack Judicial Branch Again By Misconstruing ‘Sanctuary City’ Ruling

THE HUFFINGTON POST WASHINGTON ― The White House, and subsequently President Donald Trump himself, misconstrued a federal judge’s ruling and the law to make yet another attack on the judicial branch, this time over so-called “sanctuary cities” that don’t fully cooperate with deportation efforts. The comments, in an official White House statement late Tuesday and a series of tweets by the president on Wednesday, focus on a ruling that blocked part of Trump’s January executive order that would strip law enforcement funds from jurisdictions to bully them into compliance with Immigration and Customs Enforcement requests. On Tuesday, U.S. District...

Read More

Steve King Toasts Border Patrol After Deportation Of Dreamer

THE HUFFINGTON POST WASHINGTON ― Immigrant rights advocates were dismayed on Tuesday by reports that the first undocumented immigrant with active Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals protections was deported under President Donald Trump. Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) had the opposite reaction. “First non-valedictorian DREAMer deported. Border Patrol, this one’s for you,” King tweeted, with a photo of a beer. First non-valedictorian DREAMer deported. Border Patrol, this one’s for you. https://t.co/56z1b8xrJ2 pic.twitter.com/iNjKd9FHtM — Steve King (@SteveKingIA) April 18, 2017 King is an immigration hawk who staunchly opposes the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, and any other protections...

Read More

Donald Trump’s Executive Order Revoked Tens Of Thousands Of Visas. Here’s What That Means.

WASHINGTON ― The Trump administration provisionally revoked tens of thousands of visas as part of its ban on travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries, a government lawyer said in court on Friday. The revelation caused shockwaves on Twitter, but the State Department actually confirmed earlier this week that it had provisionally revoked most visas held by people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. State Department officials said later Friday that fewer than 60,000 individuals’ visas were provisionally revoked as a result of the order. “To put that number in context, we issued over 11 million immigrant and non-immigrant visas in fiscal year 2015,” a spokesman for the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs told The Huffington Post. The visa revocations are the State Department’s method of enforcing President Donald Trump’s executive order. With exceptions for legal permanent residents and some others, people from the seven countries cannot enter the U.S., and those already here can’t leave and come back. Those currently in the U.S. on revoked visas will still be allowed to live in the U.S. for the term of their visa and do the things they were previously authorized to do, such as working or attending school, a Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman told HuffPost. Unless they violate the terms of their initial visa, they will not be at risk of deportation. But they can’t leave...

Read More

American Muslims Fear What Donald Trump Will Do Next

SILVER SPRING, Md. ― Many of the Muslims gathered at a community center here on Sunday to learn more about President Donald Trump’s recent executive order won’t necessarily be targeted by it directly, but they were frightened anyway. The reason for that fear: Trump has only been president for nine days, and he already made a drastic policy change that disproportionately affects Muslims, whom he once vowed to bar from entering the country entirely. The roughly 150 people at Silver Spring’s Muslim Community Center are worried about what Trump will do next. “Some of the things that happen, they lead to bigger things,” said Samina Ali, 65, who is originally from Pakistan and has been a U.S. citizen for 40 years. “I was reading about the Holocaust, and this is how it all started: small incidents and they got bigger and bigger and bigger. … I think that’s the extreme ― those were different days and these are different days ― but of course it does concern you.” Her daughter, 45-year-old Sarah Shakir, added that she knows the current executive order doesn’t apply to native-born American citizens like herself or naturalized ones like her mother, but the next orders might. “I feel like that could change any minute, and that’s what’s really frightening for me,” Shakir said. Trump signed an executive order on Friday that halts all refugee resettlement...

Read More

Jeff Sessions Says He Does Not Support The Muslim Ban Donald Trump Called For

WASHINGTON ― Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), Donald Trump’s pick for attorney general, said Tuesday that he would not support a ban on Muslims entering the United States, and insisted the president-elect no longer wants one, either. “I have no belief and do not support the idea that Muslims as a religious group should be denied admission to the United States,” Sessions said at a confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee. “We have great Muslim citizens, they have contributed in so many different ways and [Americans] are great believers in religious freedom and the right of people to exercise their religious beliefs,” he added. Sessions could soon helm the Justice Department ― which is charged in part with protecting civil rights and religious freedom ― under a president who issued a statement in December 2015 to propose banning Muslims from the country. Sessions was an early Trump backer and praised him at the time of the proposal for starting a conversation on who should be admitted into the country. However, he also said the then-candidate was “treading on dangerous ground because Americans are so deeply committed to freedom of religion.” Trump has never expressed remorse for suggesting the ban, despite experiencing immediate backlash from within his own party, but he later switched to saying people from certain countries ― mostly majority-Muslim ones ― should be kept out. Sessions has largely...

Read More

GOP Senator Jokes About Shooting Hillary Clinton

Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) joked during private remarks about putting a bullseye on Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, CNN reported Monday. “Nothing made me feel any better than [when] I walked into a gun shop, I think, yesterday … and there was a copy of Rifleman on the counter,” he said in audio posted by CNN of an event with Republican volunteers. “It’s got a picture of Hillary Clinton on the front of it. I was a little bit shocked at that ― it didn’t have a bullseye on it.” “But on the bottom right, it had everybody for federal office in this particular state that they should vote for,” he continued. “So let me assure you, there’s an army of support out there right now for our candidates.” American Rifleman is the magazine of the National Rifle Association, which endorsed both Burr and his preferred presidential candidate, Republican nominee Donald Trump, and opposes Clinton. Burr issued a statement to CNN apologizing for the comment and calling it “inappropriate,” and a campaign official told the news outlet that he was referring to feeling better about the level of support for his preferred candidates. A spokesman for Burr did not immediately respond to a Huffington Post request for comment. The senator is in a close race with Democrat Deborah Ross, and leads her by less than 2 points, according to...

Read More

Former AG Alberto Gonzales: James Comey Made A Mistake With Letter On Clinton Email Investigation

Another former law enforcement official said on Monday that FBI Director James Comey may have erred in releasing a vague letter so close to the election on the investigation into Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s email practices. This time, it was former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who served under President George W. Bush. In 2007, Gonzales resigned amid controversy after firing eight U.S. attorneys for what Democrats said were political reasons. He told senators more than 50 times before his resignation that he could not recall details relevant to the dismissals. “It appears that this was an error,” Gonzales said on CNN Monday. “To throw out this kind of letter without more information, without really knowing what the facts are with respect to these additional e-mails, I think was a mistake.” The FBI is reviewing newly uncovered emails that may have some bearing on its investigation into whether Clinton mishandled classified information while using a private email server during her time as secretary of state, Comey told members of Congress on Friday. The emails reportedly came from a computer owned by former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), who is married to top Clinton aide Huma Abedin, as part of an FBI investigation into his alleged sexting with a minor. In July, Comey announced that he would recommend to the Justice Department that “no charges are appropriate in this case,” although he also...

Read More

New York Politician Reveals Sexual Abuse After Donald Trump Triggered Awful Memories

New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito (D) revealed this week that she was molested as a child, and that memories of that time were triggered by hearing Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s 2005 comments about using his fame to get away with kissing and groping women without their consent. “I just couldn’t stay silent,” she said at a press conference on Thursday. Mark-Viverito first tweeted about being abused as a child the evening before, amid a slew of news reports about women alleging that Trump sexually assaulted them. 1/5 girls are victims of child sex abuse. I’m that 1/5. Trump’s misogyny & sexual violence has re-opened wounds I’ve tried to heal. #Basta — Melissa MarkViverito (@MMViverito) October 13, 2016 She said she had never spoken publicly about the abuse, which took place when she was between the ages of 5 and 8 at the hands of two individuals. She felt that now was the time to come forward, even though it is “very, very uncomfortable” to discuss, because she has a responsibility to raise visibility of the issue, she said at the press conference. “When you have an individual who is boasting about violating and taking from a woman something without her consent, I just couldn’t anymore,” she said, referring to the 2005 video of Trump. “And to have someone laughing and goading it and enabling it is just...

Read More