Author: Fox News

Supreme Court seems divided in property rights dispute

FOX NEWS WASHINGTON –  A divided Supreme Court struggled on Monday over a property rights dispute that could make it tougher for state and local governments to limit development in coastal areas. The case involves a family’s effort to sell part of its riverfront land in Wisconsin. The family planned to use the money from a vacant lot they own to pay for improvements on a cabin that sits on the parcel next door. But county officials nixed the sale for violating local conservation rules and treated the lots as a single property that can’t be split up. The...

Read More

Comey warns there is no longer ‘absolute privacy’ in US – Fox News

FBI Director James Comey said Wednesday that Americans should no longer have the expectations of complete privacy. Comey, who was the keynote speaker at a cybersecurity conference at Boston College, said there is no longer “absolute privacy” in the U.S., Politico reported. “Even our memories aren’t private,” he said. “Any of us can be compelled to say what we saw. In appropriate circumstances, a judge can compel any of us to testify in court on those private communications. There is no place in America outside of judicial reach.” Comey’s comments came less than 24 hours after WikiLeaks released files from the CIA which appear to show that the agency has the ability to hack cars, TVs and smartphones. Comey did not reference the wiretapping controversy during his speech to law enforcement officials and private-sector business leaders. “All of us have a reasonable expectation of privacy in our homes, in our cars, and in our devices. But it also means with good reason, in court, government through law enforcement can invade our private spaces,” Comey said. He said the FBI is renewing a focus on the challenges posed by encryption. He said there should be a balance between privacy and the FBI’s ability to lawfully access information. He also said the FBI needs to recruit talented computer personnel who might otherwise go to work for Apple or Google. “The cyberthreats...

Read More

ObamaCare ‘secret’ bill details will soon be made public, House Republicans say – Fox News

House Republicans huddled this weekend to finish their ObamaCare replacement plan, while also trying to stanch criticism about a secretive and stalled process by revealing some specifics and vowing the bill will soon be available for review. “This plan will be out next week, and everybody will have a chance to see it,” Rep. Buddy Carter, R-Ga., a pharmacy owner and member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, told Fox News’ “America’s News Headquarters.” Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., a physician with his own ObamaCare replacement plan, last week staged a media event in the Capitol building — complete with a portable copy machine — to find a draft of what he called House Republican leadership’s “secret” bill. House Speaker Paul Ryan has dismissed such allegations by Paul and congressional Democrats, vowing last week that the bill will go through an open committee process and sarcastically saying, “Give me a break.” The Wisconsin lawmaker and others top House Republicans have also insisted that the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, which associates costs with the bill, certainly knows about the details and that revealing too much information could give critics an opportunity to defeat the bill before it’s even made public. Essentially every elected Washington Republican, including President Trump, campaigned on a promise to repeal and replace ObamaCare, amid increasing consumer costs and dwindling options. However, Americans are concerned that such...

Read More

Spicer checks WH staffers’ phones for leaks, vows more searches coming – Fox News

  As the Trump administration hunts for the source of a series of politically embarrassing leaks that have plagued the young administration, dozens of White House staffers have had their phones searched in what is being termed “recess” compared to what may be planned, two top administration officials told Fox News. One official told Fox that White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer called nearly two dozen staffers into his office and demanded the staffers’ cell phones in order to check for evidence of leaks. Spicer warned that the initial search would be “recess” compared to what awaits staffers in round two of the investigation, if the leaker – or leakers – aren’t discovered. A second senior administration official confirmed the first official’s account to Fox, adding that staffers were instructed to place their phones on a desk as soon as they walked in. Spicer also deleted the Confide app from his phone to show that high-ranking officials weren’t immune to rules and regulations, Fox News learned. Spicer’s action was first reported by CNN. Confide is an encrypted messenger app that does not allow forwarding of a message or for screenshots to be taken of messages. It also deletes a message after it’s been sent. According to CNN, Spicer told the group of aides that using the app for White House communications violates the Federal Records Act. The entire cellphone...

Read More

Dozens of workers lose their jobs for participating in Day Without Immigrants protest – Fox News

  The Day Without Immigrants protest shut down businesses nationwide last week, but it didn’t come without some consequences for a handful of workers who decided to take part in the demonstrations. Dozens of workers said they lost their jobs after taking part in Thursday’s protest. The boycott was aimed squarely at President Trump’s efforts to step up deportations, build a wall at the Mexican border and close the nation’s doors to many travelers. It was unclear how many participated. Twelve Latino employees from the I Don’t Care Bar and Grill in Tulsa, Okla. told Fox 23 News they were fired over text message because they didn’t show up for their shift and failed to let their employers know about their absence. The employees told the station they expected to be reprimanded, but not dismissed. The firings led to an outcry in the community. “If you have 12 people who feel strongly and want to make a stand, I think management should have taken a look at that and at least stood by them or give them some time,” Catherine Bishop, of Broken Arrow, told Fox 23 News. The restaurant had already posted on Facebook seeking employees for its open positions. Meanwhile, Carmen Guerrero, an immigration activist told the Philadelphia Inquirer that six people were fired from their jobs at a Bahama Breeze in King of Prussia for taking...

Read More

Former Trump pal Russell Simmons leads ‘I Am A Muslim Too’ rally against president – Fox News

  The Muslim call to prayer rang out through Times Square in New York City on Sunday afternoon as a large, mixed-faith crowd of merchandise hawkers, social activists, organizers, curious tourists – and genuine protesters – declared their allegiance with Islam. “I am a Muslim, too!” the group chanted several times at the anti-President Trump rally organized by hip hop mogul Russell Simmons and a local rabbi and imam. “We are here, unified, because of Donald Trump, so we won’t speak too harshly of him tonight – today. We want to thank him for bringing us together,” Simmons said. Simmons used to be friends with Trump, and the two men reportedly socialized nearly every weekend at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. Trump even wrote the foreword for two of Simmons’ books, and Simmons has said he was with Trump during Trump’s first date with now-First Lady Melania Trump. But a rift developed when Simmons said he would “rather Kim Kardashian be president” than Trump, after the business magnate announced his candidacy for the GOP nomination. The two haven’t spoken since 2015, Simmons told The New York Daily News. Now, instead of speaking to Trump, Simmons only speaks out against his ex-buddy. “We are here today to show Middle America our beautiful sides,” Simmons said on Sunday. “And through our beautiful actions and intentions, that they have been misled. That...

Read More

F-15s scramble to intercept unresponsive aircraft over restricted airspace over West Palm Beach – Fox News

Two F-15s caused a ‘sonic boom’ as they raced from their base in Homestead, Fla., Friday to intercept an unresponsive general aviation aircraft that flew near Palm Beach during a stay by President Trump at Mar-a-Lago. The jets flew at supersonic speeds and residents were startled by the loud boom, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, NORAD, said in a statement. The two fighters were able to establish communication with the aircraft. This incident occured at about 7 p.m. ET.  No further details were immediately available. “The intent of military intercepts is to have the identified aircraft re-establish communications with local FAA air traffic controllers and instruct the pilot to follow air traffic controllers’ instructions to land safely for follow-on action,” the statement read. TRUMP HINTS AT ‘BIG ORDER’ OF F/A-18 SUPER HORNETS Earlier this month, a private plane got within 2 nautical miles of Air Force One, which is closer than permitted, while flying over Florida and the incident is being investigated by authorities, Bloomberg reported. The planes were flying on a parallel route and there was no risk of a collision during the incident, which occurred 30 miles out on Feb. 3,  sources told the news agency. President Trump arrived safely at Palm Beach International Airport. The report said that when Air Force One is in flight, Secret Service agents work with FAA supervisors and monitor for...

Read More

Delta brings back free meals on long haul economy flights – Fox News

If you’ve been feeling nostalgic for the days when airlines served A full meal in economy, Delta has good news for you. The legacy carrier announced Wednesday it will start offering complimentary meals in the main cabin on several long haul flights as part of a multi-million dollar effort to improve customer experience across the board. The airline was among the first to axe free meals back in 2001, with many domestic airlines following suit over the next decade. Starting March 1, Delta will offer complimentary meals in the main cabin on flights between New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport and Los Angeles/San Francisco.  The following month, the airline will expand the complimentary meal service to 10 other domestic flights from Seattle, N.Y., Boston and Washington, D.C. Other enhancements include upgraded main cabin snacks, enhanced blankets and free in-flight entertainment. Passengers on long-haul, international flights will also receive complimentary beer, wine, spirits and sleep kits. Delta began offering complimentary meals late last year as part of the limited service test to improve customer satisfaction. Some fliers were pretty surprised by the re-introduction of inflight meals. “Blow me down and call me Nancy, there was a free meal on my @Delta domestic flight. What is this 1997? :),” said one Twitter user last year. Blow me down and call me Nancy, there was a free meal on my @Delta domestic...

Read More