Author: Google News

WATCH: Controversial video of Vallejo officer arresting man raises questions of excessive force – KTVU San Francisco

The Vallejo Police Department is facing questions of excessive force because of cell phone video showing an officer hitting a man during an arrest and pulling his gun on a crowd of onlookers. Vallejo Police have not said what led up to the arrest. KTVU has been told the officer was apparently chasing after a man who was acting erratically and things escalated. Some believe the officer went too far during the arrest. Tensions were running high as the Vallejo Police officer struggles to take a man into custody after tackling him in the middle of the street. The video, posted online over the weekend, shows the officer punching the man in the head and then later striking him several times with either his baton or flashlight. You can hear the officer yell for the man to give him his hands. On the video you can hear bystanders questioning the use of force. As back up arrived at the scene, the original responding officer pulled his gun and pointed it in the direction of onlookers before re-holstering his weapon. The officer can then be seen striking the man three more times. It’s unclear what led up to this violent encounter. We’re reaching out to the Vallejo Police Department to find out more about this...

Read More

Donald Trump Jr. Insists He’s Had ‘Zero Contact’ With His Father – Huffington Post

  Donald Trump Jr. insisted at a GOP fundraiser in Dallas this weekend that he’s had virtually “zero contact” with his father. Since the two haven’t had a falling out, Trump Jr. was apparently attempting to underscore the distance he’s been keeping from the president to defuse any conflict of interest accusations. He and his brother, Eric, are running the Trump Organization for President Donald Trump, who still owns the company, which is involved in multiple projects in the U.S. and abroad. “I basically have zero contact with him at this point,” said Trump Jr. at the Saturday night event, NBC reported. Ethics experts have said that turning a business that the president owns over to his sons hardly negates conflict of interest issues in Trump’s twin role as business owner. Yet after the election, Trump tweeted that any concerns about conflicts of interest were hyped by the “crooked media.” Prior to the election it was well known that I have interests in properties all over the world.Only the crooked media makes this a big deal! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 22, 2016 Critics have complained that the president’s business holdings also provide a secret way for special interests to use lucrative deals to curry favor with him. Honored to be able to speak at the Dallas County GOP Reagan Dinner this evening with @sentedcruz. #tx #dallas #gop pic.twitter.com/RihwhefesR — Donald...

Read More

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Is Getting a Multimillion-Dollar Severance Package – Fortune

Marissa Mayer’s days at Yahoo are numbered—officially. The beleaguered tech company provided a leadership update in a 8-K filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday. Mayer will be replaced by Thomas McInerney, previously chief financial officer at media and Internet company IAC, once the Verizon (vz) deal goes through. However, it’s not all bad news for Mayer. She will still receive a severance package worth approximately $23 million. Yahoo CFO Ken Goldman will also be stepping down from his role after the Verizon merger is finalized. Goldman will be replaced by Yahoo global controller Alexi Wellman. Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s technology newsletter. Verizon made a $4.83 billion bid for Yahoo’s core Internet business last year. But after it was disclosed that Yahoo sustained two severe cybersecurity breaches in the last few years, the future of that deal was thrown into question. Verizon confirmed in February it was still going forward with the deal, but the two entities cut the value of the merger by $350 million. Both Yahoo and Verizon will share the legal costs from consumer class action cases stemming from the hacks. But Yahoo is on the hook for the cost of liabilities related to investor lawsuits and an ongoing SEC case. Yahoo general counsel Ronald Bell resigned on March 1 after an independent review of two major data breaches, prompting some critics to...

Read More

Front row at the circus: White House press briefings feature fireworks, banter – The Columbus Dispatch

  Jessica Wehrman Dispatch Washington Bureau @JessicaWehrman WASHINGTON — These days, the hottest seat in town is one of the 49 in the White House briefing room. And one of the brightest stars of daytime TV is a relatively nondescript 46-year-old who looks more like an insurance salesman than a ratings draw. In a White House where the news cycle lurches from topic to topic, President Donald Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer — the longtime Washington, D.C., insider who has lately become the fodder for multiple “Saturday Night Live” skits featuring comedian Melissa McCarthy — finds himself the ringmaster of a one-ring circus. Nearly every day, he fields questions from a press starving for input, clarification and explanation about the nation’s 45th president, whom both devotees and detractors will acknowledge is a president unlike any other. That’s because there’s something to talk about every day. Trump is a news machine: Spicer has fielded questions on front-page fodder that’s run the gamut from whether former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump’s phones to the Republican alternative to Obamacare to links between Trump’s cabinet members and aides and Russia. “People tune in to see an implosion or explosion,” said University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato. He said the briefings almost never change minds about the current White House. “People who support Trump are going to believe anything he says, and the people who oppose...

Read More

Bono and the Obamas Brunch in the Big Apple — And Get a Standing Ovation – Yahoo Singapore News

Barack and Michelle Obama had lunch with U2 frontman and activist Bono in New York City on Friday. The trio sat in a private dining room downstairs at Upland in Manhattan, a source tells PEOPLE. As Bono and the Obamas walked out of the eatery, the source says “the whole restaurant stood up and applauded and cheered for them. Barack Obama waved at everyone upon leaving.” The former president looked relaxed and happy as he left the restaurant wreathed in smiles and wearing a sleek black suit and white shirt with the top few buttons undone. It was a slightly more dressed-up look than the streamlined brown leather jacket and new and improved dad jeans he was spotted wearing last Sunday during an visit with his wife to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. The former first lady looked equally breezy during Friday’s lunch outing, wearing a color-block white, black and gray shirt, black pants and a long gray coat. This isn’t Obama’s first visit to Stephen Starr’s Upland. He also took daughters Malia and Sasha there for brunch in 2015, when he feasted on one of the Gramercy restaurant’s most popular items: the cheeseburger. The California-style burger features two beef patties covered in melted cheese and topped with lettuce, avocado, tomato and peppadew peppers. The $21 burger is only served at brunch and lunch — which means it’s entirely possible the former president revisited...

Read More

Trump’s revised immigration order just hit its first legal setback – PRI

  President Donald Trump’s revamped migration and refugee order is facing its first major legal setback: A federal judge halted enforcement of the directive that would deny US entry to the wife and child of a Syrian refugee already granted asylum. In a preliminary restraining order issued Friday that applies only to the Syrian man and his family, US District Judge William Conley in Wisconsin said the plaintiff “is at great risk of suffering irreparable harm” if the directive is carried out. The man chose to remain anonymous because his wife and child are still living in war-wracked Aleppo. The order marked the first ruling against the revised directive, which temporarily closes US borders to citizens from six mainly Muslim countries. It denies US entry to all refugees for 120 days and halts for 90 days the granting of visas to nationals from Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Yemen and Sudan. Related: Follow our immigration coverage here The new order, unveiled last Monday, is due to go into effect March 16. It replaces a previous iteration issued in late January that also temporarily barred the world’s refugees from US entry but specified Syrian refugees would be banned indefinitely. The earlier version also included Iraqis among the nationals blacklisted from traveling to the US. The bulk of the January order was blocked in federal court. “The court appreciates that there may be important differences between...

Read More

Trump travel ban can’t be enforced on Syria family, judge rules – CBS News

MADISON, Wis. — A federal judge on Friday blocked President Trump’s administration from enforcing his new travel ban against a Syrian family looking to escape their war-torn homeland by fleeing to Wisconsin. The ruling likely is the first by a judge since Mr. Trump issued a revised travel ban on Monday, according to a spokesman for the Washington state attorney general, who has led states challenging the ban. Number of refugees leaving the U.S for Canada spikes Fearing they may be deported, thousands of refugees living in the U.S have been crossing the Canadian border illegally since the beginning of the… A Syrian Muslim man who was granted asylum and settled in Wisconsin has been working since last year to win U.S. government approval for his wife and 3-year-old daughter to leave the devastated city of Aleppo and join him here. The man, who is not identified because of fears for his family’s safety, filed a federal lawsuit in Madison in February alleging Mr. Trump’s first travel ban had wrongly stopped the visa process for his family. U.S. District Judge William Conley set that challenge aside after a federal judge in Washington state blocked the entire Trump travel order. Mr. Trump signed a new executive order on Monday. The Syrian man filed a new complaint on Friday afternoon, alleging the new order is still an anti-Muslim ban that violates...

Read More

US House of Representatives Wants Trump’s Evidence in Wiretap Claim – Voice of America

The U.S. House Intelligence Committee is calling on President Donald Trump to produce evidence by Monday that the phones at Trump Tower were wiretapped during the presidential campaign. The president went on a Twitter rant a week ago saying former president Barack Obama had the Trump Tower phones tapped, but Trump did not offer any evidence. The president tweeted, “Terrible. Just found out that Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism.” Committee chairman Devin Nunes, a Republican from California, and Adam Schiff, also from California who is the committee’s ranking Democrat, sent a letter to Trump requesting the evidence to support his wiretap claim. An Obama spokesman has said Trump’s charges are “simply false.” Trump has not commented on the wiretaps since the tweets. Under U.S. law, a president cannot order someone’s phone to be wiretapped. He would need approval by a federal judge and would also have to show reasonable grounds to suspect why a citizen’s telephone calls should be monitored. The wiretap charges will likely come up in the Senate investigation into alleged Russian election interference and Trump campaign contacts with Russian officials. U.S. intelligence has concluded Russia hacked into the computer of Clinton campaign chief John Podesta, with the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks then releasing thousands of his emails in the weeks before the election. It was...

Read More