Sara D. Davis—Getty Images
Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump stands next to Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) during a campaign event at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts on July 5, 2016 in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Two Republican Senators seen as contenders for Donald Trump’s vice presidential pick withdrew themselves from consideration Wednesday.
Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker and Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst said separately on Wednesday that they are want to remain focused on their work in the Senate. Corker told the Washington Post he told Trump he did not want to be vice president during the GOP nominee’s Tuesday campaign stop in North Carolina, adding, “I’m far more suited for other types of things.” Ernst said she told Trump she is “focused on Iowa” in an interview with Politico.
Ernst announcement comes after it was revealed she will have a key speaking slot at the Republican convention in Cleveland later this month. She drew national attention to her 2014 Senate campaign with bold advertising and her upstart campaign that beat an establishment Republican and coordinated Democratic effort.
Corker chairs the Senate Foreign Relations committee and has criticized the Obama administration for its handling of ISIS and the Syrian civil war. The Tennessean emerged as a key power broker in last year’s Iran nuclear deal.
Trump is said to be vetting several vice presidential contenders, including former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.