Police and firefighters work near to the scene in Manhattan, New York, Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016. CREDIT: AP PHOTO/ANDRES KUDACKI)

Mayor called the explosion ‘intentional’ but said no known connection to terrorism

An improvised explosive device, apparently similar to the pressure cooker used in the 2013 the Boston Marathon attack, exploded in a sidewalk dumpster on Saturday night in the Chelsea section of New York City. At least 29 injuries, but so far no fatalities, have been reported.

A second, un-exploded device, was found and removed by authorities a few hours later, just blocks away.

Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) said the first explosion was apparently “an intentional act” but there is no evidence of a tie to terrorism and “no specific and credible threat against New York City at this point in time from any terror organization.” He added that “whatever the cause, New Yorkers will not be intimidated.”

Long before police or fire responders had a chance to confirm the cause of the explosion, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump told an audience in Colorado on Saturday night that “a bomb went off in New York and nobody knows exactly what’s going on. But boy we are living in a time — we better get very tough, folks. We better get very, very tough.” He vowed to “get tough and smart and vigilant.”

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton slammed Trump’s shoot-first-aim-later reaction, observing: “I think it’s always wiser to wait until you have information before making conclusions, because we are just in the beginning stages of trying to determine what happened.” Clinton added that she had been briefed on the incident and urged the nation to “do everything we can to support our first responders — also to pray for the victims. We have to let this investigation unfold.”

The explosion coincided with new New York City police commissioner James O’Neill’s first day on the job.

This post will be updated as more information becomes available.